Valentine’s Day is this Sunday so I thought I’d whip up a fun recipe here on the ‘ol blog that would be super fun to do with the littles…or if you’re just a pop-tart lover like me and you want to just eat them yourself. 😉
PLUS bonus points: They’re dairy free AND nap-time approved (aka I was able to make them all during Ever’s afternoon nap!)
2 Cups All Purpose Flour
1 tsp of Salt
1 tsp Granulated Sugar
1 cup Unsalted Butter (I use the Smart Balance Non-Dairy Butter)
4-5 tbsp chilled water
*You can do traditional squares, or since it’s Valentine’s Day, I actually used one of my heart shaped pancake molds that Javi got me for Christmas
Approx. 3/4 cup of your favorite preserve
1 cup of powdered sugar
4 tsp of water
1/4 tsp of Vanilla Extract
A few drops of red food coloring
If you want to get really fancy some Valentine’s Day sprinkles (I got mine in the Valentine’s aisle at Target)
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
2. Whisk Flour, Salt, and Sugar together
3. Transfer to food processor, mixer, or just use a hand-held mixer in bowl
4. Add your dairy free butter in chunks at a time to the mixer until dough forms into lumps
5. Add a tablespoon of the chilled water at a time for consistency (you may not need all 5 tbsp)
Now it’s time to roll the dough!
6. To roll the dough, the best way I’ve found is to lay a piece of wax paper on a clean work surface and lightly sprinkle it with flour. Then, separate your dough into workable sections. Place one of the dough sections in the middle of the wax paper. Then place another piece of wax paper on top of the dough. Using a roller, roll the dough out between the layers of wax paper until it’s around 1/4″- 1/8″ thick. Then carefully peel off the top of the parchment paper and you’re ready to start cutting your design shapes!
7. Using your desired shape start gently cutting out your dough, laying them on a baking sheet lined with parchment/wax paper.
8. Place a spoonful of your preserve in the middle of one of your shapes. Leave about a 1/2 inch of raw dough along the edges of the shape without any preserve, this is where the pop tart will be sealed.
9. Dampen your fingers, and outline the 1/2 inch edge of raw dough with a tiny bit of water. Place another one of your dough cuts on top of the preserve. Then crimp the edges of the dough together with a fork!
10. Repeat, repeat, repeat! Until you’ve either ran out of dough or have a full baking sheet!
11. Put in oven & bake for 20-25 minutes (until golden brown)
12. Transfer to cooling rack, now it’s time to make the glaze!
1. Be sure to make glaze when you’re ready to apply it on the pastries! Otherwise it get’s hard really fast (found this out the hard way 😉 )
2. Mix together powdered sugar, water & vanilla extract in a bowl.
3. Add a few drops of food coloring until desired color.
The finished product:
After pastries are done cooling, top them with your glaze by drizzling the glaze with a spoon and add sprinkles! Voila! Homemade pop tarts!
Note: My hubby is not a huge berry guy, so I made some with Nutella filling instead and they were fabulous! So feel free to get creative with your fillings!
Let me know if you try this recipe out & how it worked out for you! Happy Valentines week!